Monday, January 5, 2009

Packing Light?

I've started to gather my clothes and other items I need for my trip to the "Mother Country." I have covered an entire double bed and a dining room table with these items. I'm beginning to wonder if they will fit in the two check-in suitcases and one carry-on that I'm alotted. Looking at all this stuff I "have" to take with me I begin to realize why Americans are considered so wealthy. I have 6 sweaters that I am bringing of the 7 that I own. I limited myself to three other long sleeved shirts and am leaving behind about 4. I choose two T-shirts out of about twenty in my collection and two nice short sleeved blouses out of about 10. I layed out four pairs of pants, a skirt, and a dress. I am bringing enough underwear to last me about a month and four pairs of shoes, not to mention a pair of slippers. Four bras are also in this collection, plus two coats, four pairs of gloves, two hats, a scarf, and three pairs of long underwear. I went through two jewelry boxes and selected out of dozens of pieces: a set of pearl jewelry, a silver set, a gold set, and what my sister calls a "fun set." My mother thought I needed more stuff!

If I wasn't staying in one place for three months, I would probably bring much less. In fact, I'm certain I could reduce the amount! However, I was told to bring a week's worth and I don't want anyone to notice my lack of clothing changes. Does this make me selfish and materialistic? Or just practical?

No comments:

Post a Comment